Friday, June 3, 2011

Obesity and Diabetes

In my last post I mentioned that I had seen a magazine directed at people with diabetes.  I was surprised to see such a magazine in a chain grocery store.  I knew that diabetes was on the rise and I also knew that the rise in obesity was believed to be tied to the rise in diabetes. So I decided to take a look at some of the numbers.

These graphs from the CDC seem to illustrate the correlation between diabetes and obesity.            

   Percent of Adults Over 20* with Diabetes                                        
2008 Age-Adjusted Estimates of the Percentage of Adults with Diagnosed Diabetes        2008 Age-Adjusted Estimates of the Percentage of Adults with Diagnosed Diabetes
  Percent of Adults Over 20* with Obesity
2008 Age-Adjusted Estimates of the Percentage of Adults Who Are Obese2008 Age-Adjusted Estimates of the Percentage of Adults Who Are Obese

                                                                   




Of course, it is not enough to show that two disorders are related. Research must demonstrate that one disorder causes the other (or contributes to the cause).

Go here for another cool graph from the CDC showing the rise of obesity across our nation.

* See the CDC website for a detailed definitions and methodology.


No comments:

Post a Comment